Applicants must hold or expect to hold an excellent degree at Masters level in a relevant subject such as computer science, physics, engineering, applied mathematics, materials science, neuroscience or a related field. Applicants who hold only a Bachelor's degree are not eligible for the CLS doctoral program.
Applicants should be enthusiastic about spending time during their Ph.D. at both CLS partners and have a strong interest in doing basic research in areas such as:
- Machine Learning and Empirical Inference of Complex Systems
- Machine Intelligence, including Machine Vision and Natural Language Understanding
- Perception-Action-Cycle for Autonomous Systems
- Robust Model-Based Control for Intelligent Behavior
- Robust Perception in Complex Environments
- Synthetic, Bio-Inspired, and Bio-Hybrid Micro/Nanoscale Robotic Systems
- Haptic Intelligence
- Data-Driven Computational Biology and Medical Informatics
- Neurotechnology and Emergent Intelligence in Nervous Systems
Good written and spoken English is essential. A formal qualification (e.g. TOEFL, GRE) is not required but may strengthen your application. If you do not hold such a qualification, we require other evidence of English language proficiency (such as having taken another English exam, having studied/worked in an English-speaking environment, having written a thesis/paper in English, etc).
CLS seeks to increase the number of women in areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. Furthermore, the CLS is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Anyone - female or male, any nationality or background - who meets our academic requirements is encouraged to apply.